7 STEPS TO REFRESH YOUR WARDROBE FOR THE NEW YEAR
So it’s a new year, well almost in less than 3 weeks it would be 2017 and time for fresh beginnings
Show of hands if you would love if the new year came with a fresh wardrobe, yes everything brand new? Yes me too love but sadly that’s not the case.
That doesn’t mean we can’t give our wardrobe a makeover, yes it sounds daunting now but trust me you would so glad.
Check out this 7 easy tips to get your wardrobe in top shape, ready to slay and also help in treating your “nothing to wear syndrome”.
1. Start with a clean slate
Take it all out, yes clear your wardrobe out, no man left behind lol. It’s game time, get your game face on while you’re at it.
2. Assess every piece
Yes every piece, does it really deserve to stay in your wardrobe it it doesn’t pass the “slay test”? Just think bout that for a minute…does it?
For every piece ask yourself the following questions
- Does it represent my style?
- Do i feel good when i wear it?
- Am i comfortable in it?
- Did i wear it this year?
- Does it have Sentimental value?
- Can i fix it? and is it worth it?
3. Sort & Pile them
Using the questions above as your guide sort your clothes into piles.
- Keep pile – Clothes that passed the test with flying colours
- Maybe pile – Well every one can’t have A but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t give em a chance. The pieces here must have at least 2 yes for the questions above.
- Repair pile – You should know not everything deserves to be fixed, sometimes it may be time to let go but the clothes to be put here still deserve a fighting chance ( 😁😁 really not that serious). Some clothes just need a little nip and tuck here and there to look amazing.Also don’t forget broken zips, loose buttons and any other fix up.
- Give it up Pile – It’s time to let it go. Remember it’s just clothes, it’s never as serious as we make it. Cut the attachment ties right now, no don’t go down memory lane. Ask your self ” Is this going to empower my slay next year?” Then drop it.
The hard part is over now so time to put your worthy pieces back into your wardrobe. We all have our different styles in arranging our clothes so it’s up to you. Go for it
The repair pile should be kept in a bag awaiting the fix up. Only and only when they are fixed before they should be put in the wardrobe.
5. Get Creative
DIY time. This is not for everyone frankly. Not everyone is into DIY and transforming their clothes and that’s ok but if this is for you definitely give it a try.
That blazer in the give it up pile could look great as a vest, you could totally transform that dress to a top.
Definitely check out this post and this post for your DIY inspiration.
Only and only if you are up for it should you take the challenge and make a creative pile for your DIY pieces.
6. Give it up
They came, they saw and now it’s time to Go.
If it’s still in tip top shape you have the option of Selling it, make some cool cash
Gifting it; that friend that mentioned she liked it would appreciate it
If not toss it in the trash please; Very key, if it’s not in good shape please just toss it, throw it away. It’s not everything you donate or gift out please.
7. Wish list
With an account of every piece you have, you can now tell which areas you are lacking and which pieces you need.
Did you toss your black pants cos they no longer fit, well write it down.
Also don’t forget that piece you wished for all year, write it down.
Write em all down, this is the time you’ve been waiting for lol.
This wardrobe makeover would also help you define your basic style more.
Assessing every piece will give you a better idea of the type of clothes you gravitate more towards which would improve your shopping experience.
Now with our wardrobes looking brand new we are definitely ready for the new year and you should definitely check out this go to style tips here.
P.S : If you haven’t completed the blog survey already, kindly take a minute and do that here.
Lots of love