lifestyle

NYSC Orientation Camp Experience (Photo diary+Daily Excerpts)

The initial plan was to upload a diary entry of my daily Nysc Camp experience. Sadly i only wrote 5 days out of the 21 days and network was shit so that didn’t happen.

Nysc camp experience

Incase you don’t know, NYSC ( National youth service corps) is a compulsory one year scheme for Nigerian graduates. It aims to foster development and cultural unity (that’s what the site says but let’s not go there).
The service year starts with the 21 days orientation camp, then a work posting for the rest of the year.

Nysc anthem, Experience in Nysc Orientation campNysc photo diary

I still recall clearly my dad’s reaction when I told him I picked Bauchi as one of my 4 options during registration. He didn’t find it funny and I couldn’t tell him the reason I picked it was cos of yankari game reserve lol.

Luckily I got posted to Ogun and the camp is located at Sagamu which is just 3hrs+ away from home.
Going to camp i had no feelings towards it, just wanted to get it over with. Happy to say it was not as bad or as stressful as people always say it is.

Nysc Camp experience is totally dependent on where you are posted to and the people you spend your time with.

Nysc KhakiNysc camp experience in Ogun state

I recall dreading the registration process because of all the tales I heard. Proud to say I didn’t have to carry my box on my head or stand in a long queue (chairs were made available).

Camp routine

Morning: Soldiers send you out of the hostel by 4/30am jogging to the parade ground, then devotion and announcements. Followed by man o war activities and morning parade.
Afternoon/Evening: The most boring lectures you’ve ever heard in your life, evening parade then sports/social activities.
Fortunately for me i got to sit out of the parade cos of my terrible marching skills. Rather sit under the sun than march under the sun.

Camp food

Everything in camp is regimented so they have set time for breakfast lunch and dinner, food is provided by the Camp kitchen.

I went to the camp kitchen a few times for just bread and rice. Nothing else looked appetizing to me and honestly i wasn’t going to risk it.
Spent most of my time at the mammy market eating indomie, spaghetti, rice and amala.

Camp Toilet&bathroom

The major thing you hear before going to camp is not to expect much in terms of toilets and bathrooms, stories of pit toilets and co. Fortunately Ogun state camp had tiled bathroom and toilets and if you ask anyone who has ever gone to camp that is luxury.

The first thing you learn when you get to camp is that a lot of people are not mentally stable. No surprise people still used the toilets like animals despite the fact it got cleaned every morning. Timed my system with the cleaning time. “Can’t come and kill myself”.

Check out my NYSC Orientation Camp Experience and Photo diary Click To Tweet

Thankfully I got to spend the 21 days with people with cool (mentally stable) vibes.  Shoutout to Tolu, Tutu, Peter, Kelechi, Ola, Bimpe and Charles.

Here are some of my favourite pictures and excerpts from my diary (aka phone memo);

Nysc camp experience in Ogun state
Nysc camp activities

“8 passport is very ok but could do 16 like me if you are looking hella fine in it.
Toilets and bathrooms are tiled so that’s a good thing.
5 star camp may not be a joke after all” Day 1

Nysc camp experienceNysc photo diary

” I’m so gonna hate whistles by the time I’m done with this camp i see it….
Jogging by to 5, is this my ghost from fit fam life haunting me?? ” Day 2

Nysc Orientation camp photo diaryNigerian Soldier in NYSC orientation campNigerian Soldier in NYSC orientation camp

“I’m not part of the parade aka i can’t march so i get to do other things during that period like bask under the hot fucking sun”  Day 8

Nysc Orientation camp photo diarySunset in Nysc Camp Ogun StateNysc camp activities“Went to watch the volley ball game my platoon was playing and let’s just say winning is not the most important thing Lol….. of course we lost” Day 8

Corpers matching in Nysc Camp Ogun StateNysc Camp Stadium Sagamu Ogun state

“Currently thankfully for little blessings like not knowing how to march. So i get to sit the parade out while others get yelled out by soldiers.  Thanks two left feet!!!!! ” – Day 9

Nysc band at Ogun state orientation camp” It’s not fun but then again it’s not bad neither is it hectic but then again I speak for my camp alone. It’s chilled and ok. Still I’m tired, not from doing anything really, I’m tired just cos I’m tired. I probably shouldn’t be the best person to assess fun for you cos give me a bed and tv and I’m ecstatic. ” Day 11

” Can someone choke on a whistle? Definitely has to be a 1000 ways to die type of shit, maybe then they would all chill.” Day 11

Currently grateful for little things like getting rejected at the prison I was posted to (story for another day)

What do you think of the NYSC scheme? Necessary or Not? Have you served before?What was your camp experience Like?

Lots of Love,
Sogie.

1. Collins Badewa

February 9, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Your narration paints camp in a fun way. Giving people like me hope of not going to camp to die . Love the pictures and how straight to the point the post is.

SOMETHING OFF MY RACK

February 10, 2018 at 2:27 pm

It’s not as bad as it seems. Hopefully you get posted to a chilled place. Thank you Collins!!!

2. WanShyGirl

February 9, 2018 at 9:07 pm

Sogie for President!
    First off bomb pictures! Your phone photography skills are . I’m glad you got posted to Ogun although Bauchi wouldn’t have been bad as well except for the distance. I can relate to your dad’s reaction, when I told my mom I chose Kano she literally had a fit. Typical African Parent reaction but fortunately I got posted to Osun State.
    NYSC camp was fun, tiring plus an experience all in one. We actually spent 17/19 days but mehn that 3rd week was hella depressing.
    I made new friends, got busy at OBS and fortunately didn’t meet so many mad people.
    I’m in different about the NYSC scheme but it would be great if it were Shorter and if the allowance was more. I mean in this 2018 it’s difficult to survive on N19,800 but we did sha .
    Looking forward to reading the story about your PPA and other related tales.
    WanShyGirl

February 10, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Yes thankful it was Ogun cos Bauchi is so far Honestly, you had to see his face…. literally asked me if know where Bauchi is. I wanted to join OBS oh then they said write an article and I was too lazy for that. Definitely need to increase it, 19800 is just too small.

3. Cassie Daves

February 9, 2018 at 9:11 pm

You took some super cool pictures! I think NYSC can be good if it is reformed or something – better facilities and all.

Cassie Daves Blog | My NYSC Camp Experience In Kogi State

February 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Yes I definitely agree. Has to be a restructuring and better pay of course. Thanks Cassie

4. Chisa

February 11, 2018 at 7:40 am

You went to prison???? OMG!!! Now that I want to hear. These pictures are bomb. You really do paint camp as a great experience, which well I still believe it’s not and the camp part should be scrapped away.. I can’t come and die.

February 12, 2018 at 11:03 pm

Yes oh I did, story for another day. Thank you Chisa. I’m sure you would ve fun in camp it’s not as bad as they say

5. Travel with a pen

February 12, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Your pictures are beautiful. Glad you enjoyed the camp experience. I had a similar experience to yours. I was posted to Adamawa and absolutely loved it. My mum used to come to my room to console me every night but I think she just wanted to console herself cos I told her I was glad I got posted there. But you chose Bauchi cos of Yankari?! That’s both awesome and hilarious!

February 12, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Thank You!!
      Adamawa? Did you spend the entire year in adamawa or just the camp? Lol she was definitely consoling herself but it’s totally understandable. Just thought why not use one stone to kill 2 birds, I always wanted to visit so yh

6. LoriKemi

February 12, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing your experience. I have yet to do NYSC and I’m not sure how to feel about the year of service in general because, on one hand I hear of/ from people like you who liked their camp experience overall, on the other I hear about people who couldn’t wait to get out of camp and found the rest of the year a total waste of time…. But I’ll just have to wait and see, and hope that my experience will also be positive! I’m curious, however: did you really pick Bauchi just because of the Game Reserve? Do you know people who had been there? In fact – What are the “top” camps or those with “luxuries” like tiled bathrooms at the Ogun camp? || http://www.lorikemi.com

February 12, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Thanks Lori!! Yes girl hope you have a good experience too. I did oh!! I had 4 states to pick from then i saw Bauchi and next thing I thought of yankari reserve and all the cool photos of Bauch I saw recently so i picked it. Don’t really know bout other camps with good bathrooms and co but you can google it, must have something online. Thanks for stopping by!!!